Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!

Yes, it is true . . . Matt and I survived our very first EARTHQUAKE!!
Don't be alarmed. We were able to walk away from the 5.4 rated quake with only minor injuries. I had to stop reading about "Molecules of Emotion" - good ol' BYU independent study - and jump up out of my chair quicker than my prego belly would have liked, but no major trauma occurred. And Matt, who was up on the 34th floor of his law office high rise, suffered from slight dizziness caused by the swaying motion of his building. Pretty intense. :)
The shaking lasted about 20 seconds - or so the newscasters informed us. It was a very weird feeling, having the whole earth shake underneath you and having no control and no idea of when the shaking would stop or if it would get worse. I couldn't call out on my cell phone for nearly 2 whole hours!! No more putting off getting those emergency preparedness kits!!
Earthquake Damage Done:
After many hours of hard labor, I was able to restore our home to its pre-earthquake state:

8 comments:

lyndsey said...

HAHA so glad you were able to repair all the damage. thanks for g-chatting with me directly after the quake...it was good to talk to someone with my rattled nerves :) not to mention the fact that i couldn't use my phone either...

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD A B:LOG! I am so excited! I can't wait to see you guys in a few short weeks!

Ferran Family said...

Oh My GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you found me! I have not talked to you FOREVER. How are you?! It looks like you are doing great. You're having a baby? Congratulations!!!!
This will be a perfect way to catch up!!

McLove said...

Crazy quake huh? g;ad it wasn't during Scott's first day of the bar...oh wait it was.... funny huh???? Miss you guys:)

Regan and Annie Duckworth said...

Glad you are ok. Don't over exert yourself next time though. We can only do so much with this growth on our stomach. :)

Abby said...

Hi Whitney,I'm glad you "stalked" me, I do quite a bit of that myself;) and Matt says you're one of his 'cool' cousins, and favorites. I'll add you to my links on the side if you don't mind!

I guess we're counting down to just about the same day, both for pretty exciting reasons. You have a good excuse for missing the wedding, so I think we can let it slide, but hopefully I get to meet you sometime in the near future. Congrats on the baby!

Jenner said...

glad you survived, now i guess you are a real Californian now! we are visiting in Utah right now and you mom showed me your blog. congrats on being a mommy-to-be, you look great!

d said...

Hey Vandylanders! So glad that I can spy on you now. I didn't know you had a blog- I am really behind the times. Glad things seem to be going well, and the earthquake did no harm! Can't wait to see little Mitney!